Spring seems to be on the way with the appearance of buds and daffodils, birdsong and brighter days. A lovely feeling is in the air of new life and opportunities.
We welcome this seasonal change and look forward to enjoying all that a beautiful spring has to offer. With dandelions and detoxifying herbs, wild garlic and longer days.
For many, spring time can herald the start of sneezing attacks, itchy eyes and throat and the feeling of being perpetually run down with the constant attack from allergens.
Hay fever can begin in early spring and continue all through the summer and it can be impossible to enjoy the bright, sunny days when you suffer from allergy symptoms when venturing outside.
The best strategy is to build up your immune system before symptoms appear..
Hay fever/chronic rhinitis is an over reaction to something that the body should, and can, usually handle so the key here is to have a strong immune system. When you encounter an allergen, be it food, pollen or a dusty room an antibody is produced releasing histamine which causes itching, swelling and inflammation.
It is important to start preparing and strengthening the immune system now.
Beat hay fever naturally ~ before the season gets under way
- Eat foods rich in bromelain, an enzyme found in pineapple and papaya, which is particularly effective at reducing inflammation, pain and allergies.
- Consume foods rich in quercetin, a type of flavonoid antioxidant that has been shown to reduce inflammation, allergies, hayfever and support the respiratory system. Foods include parsley, capers, onions, black plums, apples and berries. Quercetin also acts as a zinc ionophore, a compound that can transport zinc ions across a cell membrane, increasing intracellular zinc concentrations.
- Reduce or eliminate foods you know you don’t tolerate well. Bread and wheat products can be particularly hard on the digestive system and can lower immunity. You may also find that mucus forming foods like milk and cheese also make your symptoms worse, so listen to your body.
- For mild to medium hay fever take Optibac ‘for every day’. Research increasingly points to the gut being the seat of a healthy immune system so it stands to reason if you balance your gut bacteria immunity will improve and strengthen. Also begin to take Bee Prepared Daily Defense Immune Support. Before the hay fever season starts take 2 capsules daily, increasing if necessary when the pollen count is higher.
- For severe hay fever and chronic rhinitis take Optibac ‘for every day extra strength‘ and Black seed oil capsules. In studies Black seed oil ‘the remedy for everything’ has been shown to reduce nasal itching, runny nose, sneezing fits and nasal congestion during the first 2 weeks. Black seed oil versus hay fever.
- Increase vitamin C through diet or supplement with wholefood Vitamin C.
- Drink Nettle tea to reduce inflammation and ease nasal congestion.
- Don’t compromise your immune system by being in a state of constant stress. Consider Holy Basil ‘The Incomparable One’.
More studies on the remarkable black seed (nigella sativa) – http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/16-more-reasons-black-seed-remedy-everything-death2.
Tags: Chronic Rhinitis, Hay fever, Hayfever