Shingles is a viral infection of the nerve fibres produced by the same virus that causes chickenpox.
The virus is noted by the appearance of clusters of painful blisters. These often appear where the affected nerves end, usually showing up on one side of the body, often on the trunk or face.
Shingles often signals a weakened immune system and a degree of debility.
- Enlarged lymph nodes
- Feeling run down
- Tingling, burning, numbness, sensitive to touch
- Rash, blisters
- Sensitivity to light
- Gut disturbance
- Recent illness
- Over the age of 50
- Experiencing stress
Herbs Indicated in the Treatment of Shingles
Treating shingles naturally is centered around supporting the immune system and the nervous system.
- Proprietary Echinacea duo tincture – The Anti-viral – especially useful here where the condition is marked by debility. Around 48 hours after taking Echinacea, lymphocytes almost double. Lymphocytes are one arm of the immune system that is concerned with viruses.
- Lemon balm – The Nervine – Specific indications – nerve-calming, blisters, herpetic sores, burning, fevers, anxiety, cooling, sympathetic excess.
- Avena sativa – The Tonic – It is extremely beneficial in the recovery of shingles. High in minerals, Vitamin E, manganese, zinc and protein. It feeds and soothes the nervous system. It is especially useful where the nervous system is depleted by stress, depression and exhaustion.
- HZ Gel – The Pain Relieving Topical Gel – Containing Yellow jasmine this is a soothing, pain relieving gel for affected areas. Please call or pop in to purchase.
Supplements to Support Immunity During Shingles
- Vitamin C – 1000mg, 3 x a day to support immune function and white blood cells
- B12 – for nerve pain reduction and faster recovery
- Zinc – supports immune function and has an anti-viral effect. Best taken at first sign of illness.
As with all viruses treat at the first outset for better outcomes.
Tags: Anti-viral, Avena sativa, Blisters, Echinacea, lemon balm, Nervine, Rash, Shingles, Virus