This is a lovely recipe my dad developed some time ago.
The original recipe used the smaller variety of oranges, but I am using blood red variety.
A powerhouse of nutrients containing beetroot, blood red orange (tangerine, clementine, mandarin or satsuma are also good), raisins and walnuts.
Key benefits –
- Lowers blood pressure and protects against stroke and heart attack
- A wide spectrum of vitamins, minerals and anti-cancer phytonutrients
- Oxygenates the blood and boosts physical endurance
BLOOD RED ORANGES
- High in Vitamin C
- Protects against type 2 diabetes
- High in antioxidants
- Natural source of folate (folic acid)
- Improves skin, hair and nails
- Nutrient dense
- Boost mood
- May reduce risk of pancreatic cancer
- When grapes are dried their anti-oxidant capacity greatly increases
- Good source of energy
- Provide calcium and boron for bones
- Iron and copper protect against anaemia
r e c i p e
- 1 medium sized, organic raw beetroot
- 1 blood red orange or 2 small (ie. clementine, tangerine etc)
- Small handful of walnuts
- Small handful of raisins
m e t h o d
In a mini chopper add the peeled oranges and whizz to a juice.
Scrub and chop the beetroot adding to the chopper with the raisins and walnuts.
Blitz to a consistency that can be eaten off a spoon. This is not a smoothie and should be eaten as a separate meal.
Tags: Detox, Purifying